• I have no idea how to overclock. Anyone have some info on that? Also, I think that watercooling is overrated. Just put your wires neatly and make sure that the fans blow the hot air out of the case. You could also put the fan so it sucks the cold air in to the case instead.

EDIT: What is $99 for you guys? How much is it worth for you? Is it expensive or cheap?

0j18luls0gj0xsuh26qw.gif

• Water cooling is superior to air cooling in every way. I've been water cooling for 3+ years and if it wasn't better than air, I would have stopped long ago. I've upgraded many things and it's worth spending money on if you are serious and performance. It's comparable to putting a turbo on a car. However, if you have no experience with overclocking, you may want to try out performance air cooling to help you learn the basics of overclocking.

The Thermaltake CL-W0121 2U system is alright. However, I would not spend $150+ on it. Instead, you can build something better for $150. The Thermaltake is easier because it is everything but the water block and fits right into a 5.25" slot or two. But still, you'd spend $150 and still have to buy a $70 water block.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2145/…l?tl=g30c95s159
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9480/…?tl=g30c107s153
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2293/…l?tl=g30c99s170

^ $100 for water pump, radiator, and tubing. These are good quality products and I use the same brands myself. So you will save a lot of money and gain more performance. That radiator is a little more expensive than the budget size 120mm radiators, but it's much better in cooling effectiveness too. It is thicker than the stealth or swiftech's. You might need to buy some clamps or something.

There is like a million CPU blocks to choose from.
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g30/c32…PU_-_Brand.html

http://www.frozencpu.com
    I use this website all the time when I need cooling products. They have great customer service, shipping times, and even give you the names of who packed and who double-checked the package before it was sent. Great American people running an honest business.

overclocked and water cooled mang!
    Crysis_signature_by_spiridusumagik.jpg

Edited once, last by B-e-t-a (July 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM).

• Ok, well evil thanks for the info.. but i came to the conclusion that my pc parts are not too bad..
    So i was thinking of using the same parts in the new case, along with the water cooling system to overclock it..
    As my cpu is barely suppressed, i think i could overclock it even now.. but for the safety of that i'd like to add the watercooling system,
    And fair enough i also like the challenge to ''kinda'' asemble a new pc, as its new for me.. especialy with the water cooling..
    I just want more performance including the fun of esembling a pc.

EDIT: Fail, as i've just read.. i suppose you need a new cpu that is ''water cooled friendly?''

rirrnos4eu1zdgyhiug9.png

• I think you can water cool any CPU, Mike. And why not first tinker with overclocking before going all-out with a water-cooled setup, as I'm sure you won't need that much cooling power unless you're already very comfortable with overclocking.

And commie, I've never had a CoolerMaster case, so I cannot compare my NZXT case to one, but for $35 the build quality and amount of features on my case are comparable to what is offered by much more expensive cases. CoolerMaster and Antec do not have a $35 cases with water-cooling support, SSD trays, filtered intakes, a painted interior, pretty lights, and fancy side windows. And for $100, (I'd never spend that much on a case) NZXT gives you LCD screens and all sorts of crazy shit.

• Okay i made a bit of a cock up, in my haste to get Ginia a gaming pc we went down the pre-assembled route and as cheap as we could find, only problem is we now have a box of crap that just isn't running crysis wars well enough, Ginia keeps getting freezes during the game not like lag as everything pauses for a split second and it just makes the game unplayable, i'm convinced its the system, playing around with settings and resoloution does not make any noticable difference other than framerate being increased.
    I wish we took a bit more time and got a better system its to late now so we have to make the best of what we got.

If someone could take a look and maybe suggest so some sensible upgrades, i'm thinking new motherboard, power supply and better ddr3 memory, but keeping the rest of the components like graphics card and processor for the time being.

I'm hoping that the problem is just some kind of bottle neck caused by the memory and other suggestions?

Now i'm home i really want my PC back so i can play Crysis again :eek:

Arborist

08294431446939330594.png

• Opps forgot to add the specs:

AMD phenom x2 550 cpu
    Foxcon A7VMX-K Micro-ATX motherboard
    450watt generic psu
    4gb generic ddr2 800mhz ram
    Gigabyte hd5750 gpu
    750gb WD caviar green HD
    Domino coolit watercooling for the processor

Like i said i'd like to keep the processor and graphics card for now and possbily upgrade these in the future maybe using my cpu and gpu when i upgrade my system, it all depends on the Crysis 2.

We only want this system to play crysis wars on at a reasonable pace.

"when i look on this i think its potatos"
    Tryton on life

"I really like to take them from the rear"
    Tryton on Battlefield tactics

• It seems like it should be good enough to play on low with no problems at all. Everything there is better than what I have, except I also have a dual core cpu. Unless that phenom x2 550 is a huge slouch, I would expect very playable framerates on low.

For comparisons sake, I get 40-60 fps on all low when resolution is set to 1280x800 with the following setup:

Manufacturer:
    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 250 GB Total
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T220
    Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio
    Speakers/Headphones: Turtle Beach HPA2 Surround Gaming Headset
    Keyboard: Microsoft PS2 port
    Mouse: Logitech MX518
    Mouse Surface: Max Payne
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
    Motherboard: GA-P35-DS3L
    Computer Case: NZXT M59

• Price range?

Power supply is a must.
    PC power and cooling and corsair are the best.
    So i'd go with a 1000W as power supplies probably won't become obsolete anytime soon and that lets you open yourself up for future upgrades.
    Power supply is the one thing you shouldn't cheap out on, as it can ruin your system if its faulty.

Also I'd think about buying some better cpu cooling and overclock your processor a bit to squeeze some more performance out of it and you can use it with future chipsets.
    I'd suggest something like a Megahalem or a TRUE. If you are going to upgrade cpu and gpu later that excludes motherboard and ram as well.
    I would also suggest not going i7 at the moment if you are planning on upgrading as intel plans yet again to go with another chipset later this year or q1 2011.

• Do not trust AMD. Their processors are inferior to Intel. I also hope you are using a x64 version of XP/Win7 (Stay away from Vista) instead of x86. If you don't then the 4 gb RAM is a waste. x86 won't use all of the RAM, and if the processor is 64-bit it won't be capable of using all of its power.

0j18luls0gj0xsuh26qw.gif

• I think you can water cool any CPU, Mike. And why not first tinker with overclocking before going all-out with a water-cooled setup, as I'm sure you won't need that much cooling power unless you're already very comfortable with overclocking.

And commie, I've never had a CoolerMaster case, so I cannot compare my NZXT case to one, but for $35 the build quality and amount of features on my case are comparable to what is offered by much more expensive cases. CoolerMaster and Antec do not have a $35 cases with water-cooling support, SSD trays, filtered intakes, a painted interior, pretty lights, and fancy side windows. And for $100, (I'd never spend that much on a case) NZXT gives you LCD screens and all sorts of crazy shit.

Hm, i think you are right evil.. I just scanned my pc for cpu load, witch is low. (16%)
    So i suppose i could start with overclocking it, gental.
    Just need to make sure its not getting to hot it seems.

rirrnos4eu1zdgyhiug9.png

Edited once, last by Terrorbulky (July 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM).

• Yes we have 64bit version of Win 7, I'm well aware that Intel are better than AMD processors but an AMD processor should be able to run Crysis well enough surely? There not totally crap.

I only want this system to run Crysis well for ginia, then later she will get my hand me downs from my system. I doubt we will go down dual graphics cards route with this system so i'm thinking a decent 550watt supply or there abouts is enough which i can find for around £60,
    4gb of ddr3 memory around the £80-90 this will require a new mobo as the foxconn only supports ddr 2 i believe.
    The this is where it gets a little confusing for me i've read you can unlock more cores in the processor with a board like the GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P which i can find for around £90? Or do i go cheaper and forget about unlocking more cores?

This keeps the upgrade cost to under £250 mark which is the limit of my budget for now.

Forgetting how do-able unlocking more cores on the processor is i think this should make an improvement.

Also Verrator do you not rate the domino water cooling? I know nothing about them all i know is the system runs quiet and temps seem low.

I

08294431446939330594.png

• The main concern i have is Ginia's pc keeps getting annoying split second pauses for no apparent reason i can be in the base with nobody around nothing going on and it'll still freeze, I just can't figure it out i've tried messing around with the settings nothing helps, the fps is good and runs smooth inbetween those annoying pauses even with lots of action on screen, we've wired the router to the pc so now not using the wireless internal internet box thingy yet still the same.
    A pause in a fight just leaves you vunerable and is really annoying, my PC runs smooth and it makes a huge difference in game play.

All i can think of is the crappy power supply and the cheap shit memory, or perhaps the 5750 AMD gpu not working well with crysis? i'll upgrade to latest drivers tonight to see if that makes a difference, i'll also try running the game in dx9 mode, i just keep coming back to the conclusion something in the hardware is causing this.

"when i look on this i think its potatos"
    Tryton on life

"I really like to take them from the rear"
    Tryton on Battlefield tactics

• Okey.. I just setted my Cpu from 200 MHZ to 210 MHZ (witch is the max, it wont let me increase it any more)
    I'm not sure if it made any difference... Is there any way of increasing it even more? Or is it a problem that i bought the pc instead of making it myself?
    Dont really feel the ''playing with the motherboards jumpers'' style..
    I could also increase the ''DRAM'' but i'm not quite sure what it is.. so i diddnt do anything:P
    (Tempertures and all stayed quite the same, got the feeling my cpu usage increased slightly.)
    Any more ways of overclocking then through the BIOS menu and the jumpers?
    Suppose i could use software to increase it even more, but havnt been able to find a decent program yet.

Thanks mike.

EDIT: Perhabs i should buy a better CPU?
    I've got a AMD phenom X4 9850 Quad-core at the moment.

rirrnos4eu1zdgyhiug9.png

• Arborist, there must be something else going on if you keep getting the split second hiccups even with a fresh install, latest drivers, and running Crysis in DX9 mode. Obviously, before buying more expensive ram or a psu, I'd recommend visiting and searching other forums that might have users that have actually been trained in this area of support.

I am currently googling with search terms like crysis, lag, freezes....but I have to know, what is her framerate like? It sounds like you're saying there's no problems with fps, but you just get random split-second freezes. I would venture to guess that if the fps is consistently above the 40 fps threshold, that there is a correctable problem with the machine which you can fix w/o throwing more money into hardware.

I'm sure this won't help too much, but for now here's a link that addresses some lag problems: http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_3.html

Mike, make sure you're checking your core temperatures when the CPU is under load. Obviously, the temps don't mean much when it's just idling. Also, If you want to tinker with software for overclocking just to check to see if temps will be stable when overclocked, there's nothing wrong with that, but I would say don't rely on any software program as a permanent means of overclocking your CPU. And my opinion is that there's nothing wrong with that processor. If you're new to overclocking, why not start with what you have in the phenom X4 9850. To me, it wouldn't make sense to buy a better processor just for the intention of overclocking it, (especially if it's going to be your first time) as the main purpose of overclocking is to squeeze a little extra lifespan out of it.

I think that processor allows you to simply unlock multipliers for a super simple boost in speed. Tinkering with unlocked multipliers alone will make it very easy for you to overclock with the goal of mild to moderate gains in performance. If you haven't done so already, you should definitely search the internet for the methods other people used to overclock your processor, as there is more than just the FSB and multipliers which you can think about tackling.

• Yes we have 64bit version of Win 7, I'm well aware that Intel are better than AMD processors but an AMD processor should be able to run Crysis well enough surely? There not totally crap.

I only want this system to run Crysis well for ginia, then later she will get my hand me downs from my system. I doubt we will go down dual graphics cards route with this system so i'm thinking a decent 550watt supply or there abouts is enough which i can find for around £60,
    4gb of ddr3 memory around the £80-90 this will require a new mobo as the foxconn only supports ddr 2 i believe.
    The this is where it gets a little confusing for me i've read you can unlock more cores in the processor with a board like the GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P which i can find for around £90? Or do i go cheaper and forget about unlocking more cores?

This keeps the upgrade cost to under £250 mark which is the limit of my budget for now.

Forgetting how do-able unlocking more cores on the processor is i think this should make an improvement.

Also Verrator do you not rate the domino water cooling? I know nothing about them all i know is the system runs quiet and temps seem low.

You don't need ddr3 with that setup, its a waste, I'm to lazy to explain why but memory shouldn't be an upgrade concern until changing your chipset. Speed of your cpu and gpu will most effect in game play.
    It is possible to unlock more cores you'll have to read into it some more, but with some chips it is possible and i would be looking into that.
    Those pre-made watercooling systems are all the same. They boast water cooling advantages with the ease of air cooling. Most reviews rate it subpar, so as i suggested buy a true or a megahalem. The TRUE original can be lapped and washer modded bringing down temps even more.

Addressing those split second freezes:

It could be quit a few things,

Are you getting the disconnect symbol?
    What's your minimum frame rate during that instance?
    What resolution are you running at?
    What are your card and cpu temperatures at load?

Edited once, last by (July 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM).