Joining OSF - A Few Notes

• With the influx of applicants recently, we've decided to make a slight change in the way new members will be accepted to join OSF. Starting at the time of this post, applicants will be required to receive enough approving votes from current members in order to join. During the period of time that you are waiting for your votes, please join us on TeamSpeak when playing in our servers (you probably won't get any votes if you don't anyways).

Allow for changes in the amount of votes required, as our roster changes.

If you have any questions, comments, or complaints, feel free to make a post here.

Current number of votes required: 10

"No" votes subtract from "Yes" votes.

Members may expect to receive full permissions such as administrator privileges and voting permissions within one month of gaining membership. Polls are open for one month after the time the application has been submitted.

CLICK HERE TO MAKE YOUR APPLICATION

• It's a good start toward a successful system. If you don't mind my intervening on this topic, I have a proposal.

A new applicant should require a 33% approval of the entire clan populace. This is not to be confused with 33% approval of the entire voting populace. Remember, not everyone votes during every poll. This way, the voting system can grow with the clan.

I understand that changes are not easy to implement and these things take time. No rush. It's just that I have tried many approaches to a vote/polling system within clans. Some are more successful than others.

I am a retiring administrator of a clan known as |KoR| for another game. This clan started out with only 6 members, but literally grew to well over 60 members. Implementing changes and making room for new members became an everyday task for me. The clan is currently run by 4 administrators, 4 global moderators, 15 moderators, and 24 members. This makes for a total of 47 members to date. Clan members come and go and the numbers change every week.

So there, now you know about my experience with administrating a clan.

overclocked and water cooled mang!
    Crysis_signature_by_spiridusumagik.jpg

• Ok I'll let you in on a secret. I didn't pull the ten number out of my ass. I updated the members list and literally counted the amount of people that go in our forums and I feel would place a vote. Of those, I figure it should be possible, but not too easy to get votes from 10 of them. After running it by a few others, this sounded like a good number for now.

I fear that by using some percentage of total population, we won't be guaranteeing any number of certain votes as some members use the forums more than others (like, not at all for some).

• Ok I'll let you in on a secret. I didn't pull the ten number out of my ass. I updated the members list and literally counted the amount of people that go in our forums and I feel would place a vote. Of those, I figure it should be possible, but not too easy to get votes from 10 of them. After running it by a few others, this sounded like a good number for now.

I fear that by using some percentage of total population, we won't be guaranteeing any number of certain votes as some members use the forums more than others (like, not at all for some).

Ah yes and believe it or not, I have implemented a successful solution for that problem too. I just didn't mention it yet. lol should I explain it or would I just be going over the top? :P

Edited once, last by B-e-t-a (July 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM).

• Alright I'll explain away, but this is not meant as an offensive argument. Just an experience.

Every clan member that votes in a given time frame is considered active. So, then take 50% of the # of active voters and you have the # of votes required for an applicants entrance.

For example: If 3 of 10 clan members do not vote on ANY polls for 3 weeks, they are considered INACTIVE. That leaves 7 ACTIVE voters. Therefore, 50% of 7 is 3.5, rounded to 4. The total # of positive votes needed for an applicant would be 4.

This system has been the most successful voting system I have ever seen used in a clan. It eliminates the need to make changes to the voting system no matter how many clan members decide to take part in the voting.

*edit*
    I should mention the items to be adjusted.
    - time frame of activity - you can make it two months or whatever
    - percentage of active votes needed

Clan members will have more of an incentive to be "ACTIVE" in the voting process. It will also give you an idea of who is contributing and who is not.

• The new system was really only designed to keep people from putting OSF in their name too quickly, as some people in the past have joined quickly then we never heard from them again. If a good player applies and we all like him but he doesn't get enough votes to join, then we'll obviously adjust the required amount.

• .....Theres a bit missing.

NO votes count!.......that way it is a real Democracy.

.....When people take the time to vote no, their vote will be heard.

And like all multiple choices on a forum, it should be run as a poll.

So me, Rip and Evil can change it at anytime.
    (Hey you wanted a Democracy, and I haven't seen one yet that isn't corrupt)

"Aspire to Inspire before you expire." "life.............is a state of mind."

Edited once, last by DMC_RULEZ (July 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM).