=OSF= FR16 DayZ Server

• We finally got a server up, it's running smooth now after a couple initial complications, the server is provided by TeabagPsc and is hosted in France for those who couldn't figure that out. At the moment it is running as UTC -5 (eastern time zone) which means it should be light when it is dark in Europe.

Admins (more may be added): Icomrade, TeabagPsc, NecessaryEvil

Server hardware:
    10 GBit lan (not ever used) + 1Gbit wan connection (highest tested is 640Mbps down 60 up)
    i7 920 quadcore @ 2.66 - 2.93GHz (turbo)
    120GB SAS 10k or 15k RPM hdd (not sure which)
    4GB Ram - not sure on speed
    1968341060.png

Current configuration:

• Map marker = ON
    • Name tags = OFF
    • 3rd person = ON
    • Crosshair = ON
    • Difficulty = Veteran
    • Timezone = UTC/GMT -5
    • Max ping = 250ms

If you have any suggestions for the server please make them as a reply to this thread. If you are an =OSF= member and you want administrator/RCON access please PM me.

b_560_95_1.png

• Thought I'd ask everyone how they felt about running two 40 slot servers rather than one 50 slot? It would be twice the amount of vehicles and 20% less players to stumble upon hiding spots during peak hours. And to the OSF DayZ fans, it would be 30 additional slots overall for the community. Not sure yet if Teabag's server can handle, but it's something to think about.

• You'd also have to have to obtain another instance ID which is usually a long process that consists of mostly waiting. Of course, I would not be apposed to the idea so long as teabag's server can handle it. However, when the server is done with a 50 player day of hosting it usually gets around 7 fps which doesn't usually pick up until a restart where it holds @ 50 fps (the max) until about 20 players.

In addition to the performance issue I feel that 50 players is the optimal number for a DayZ game, it leaves just enough people to be able to not be noticed. Personally, I don't think that a lower slot server would help chances of our vehicles getting slotted, although this should have no affect of changing the settings of a public server, and non-OSF members should have an opportunity to chime in.

I have considered setting up an unofficial Lingor (or other map, maybe Fallujah :| ) server with a local/private database; this may or may not require another VM which may also be a problem.

• The instance ID part is no problem, I already got another one when I tried to sign up for the server-related emails for server administrators. Actually, I filled out the form with the specifications of teabag's server and got an email saying the request was not approved because the uplink speed must be at least 100mbs so I re-did it but just said uplink speed is 100 because I was only interested in being added to the mailing list and not a new instance id, but they sent one anyways.

Hopefully fps won't be a problem if we restart the server at more frequent intervals like the recommended four per day. We can also run the servers with opposite times of day so peak hours are offset.

• Quote from "Ripley"

what do you guys think about letting the server restart 2 times a day instead of 1?
    its getting pretty laggy when its not yet breakfast time in the US :)

Sure, the problem is the server is populated when it would be restarted. Unfortunately, it's a choice between server performance and popularity, come up with a good time and i'll set it up. FYI no matter how many times the server is restarted it will not perform well with over 200 zombies, dead or alive, on the map.

• Quote from "Ripley"

As soon as you restart it when its getting to laggy the server will be a lot more populated again.
    I vote for 18:00 GMT+0 (right now it is set to about 10:00 GMT+0 I believe)

I think it's 9:10 GMT+0 (cause it restarts at 4:10, central time GMT-5). And often, when a populated server restarts, regardless if it's crashed or planned, most of its players return when it's back up. I think 2 restarts a day is a good idea, each 12 hours apart (9:10 GMT+0 and 21:10).

"Knowledge is power and power corrupts, so study hard and be evil."
    "If we do not end wars, wars will end us"

Edited once, last by (July 6, 2015 at 9:38 PM).

• I think it's time for the recommended 4 restarts per day. Every 6 hours after the current 2:10am restart should be fine with the standard warning messages ahead of time. If we really want to get carried away, we can warn when the next restart is coming each hour. I'll get started on the schedule and of course submit for approval before implementing any changes.

Hopefully I saved you some time commie but I'm not sure if the last part is right under external commands