• It is only $200 and offers performance around the GTX 275. Best dollar / performance ratio right now.

I bought 1 8) EVGA brand, so I can step up to a GTX 470 or better within three months. Either that or look into SLI. Supposedly the GTX 460 does SLI nicely.

overclocked and water cooled mang!
    Crysis_signature_by_spiridusumagik.jpg

• Chzeck it out:

perfrel.gif

Yes, GTX 480 is the best single gpu solution on the market. The ATI 5970 is a dual gpu on a single card, so it would be comparable to the dual GTX 480 gpu (whenever that is released). Although the GTX 480 is faster than the GTX 460, the GTX 460; uses less power, produces less heat, costs half the price, and performs very well considering. A dual GTX 460 SLI setup does outperform the single GTX 480, for about the same price.

Edited once, last by B-e-t-a (July 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM).

• You don't even need that. The GTX 460 is running Crysis Wars with these settings at 35-55 FPS:
    1680x1050
    Best Visuals (Ultra High)
    V-sync
    2xAA
    Mesa, outside, 8+ players present.

Mostly I use Good Visuals (High) to play, except on !Bros' server I use Good Performance (medium).

• Scaling of 460's in SLI is something like 95% performance increase, which means 2 460's > single 480. [url=http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-sli-geforce-gtx-480,2694.html]Read about it here[/url]

460's offer the best bang for your buck since the 8800's and are currently the most attractive card available at the $200 price point.

However, I see that Newegg has a deal on a 470 from MSI for $250. I'm not sure this deal can be true. If so, that's the best deal ever.

• Hi Evil. In response to your questions on xfire:

I bought the EVGA GTX 460 (768mb). As of yet, I have not overclocked it. There has been no need to do so. There should be plenty of overclocking room on the card I bought. The temperatures stay in the 40-45*C range, even when gaming. I used a temperature graph via GPU-Z to calculate the temps so I can game in full screen for the fullest results.

I would say this EVGA GTX 460 does not even need to be overclocked, but can fly if you want it to. Remember, I was using a 9800 GT (much like the 8800 GT) before. There is a massive difference in performance. Maybe today I will overclock it some and see how it does.

• 460's apparently overclock like champs since they run much cooler than their gf100 fermi friends. The 768mb versions are even slightly more overclockable than their 1gb counterparts. Check these core frequencies out! http://www.gpureview.com/gpureviews-gtx…rticle-858.html

Anyways, I just thought you'd give it a go based on your forum signature :)

• Beta do you think it the 460 makes a difference in terms of gameplay over yr old ATI card?

"when i look on this i think its potatos"
    Tryton on life

"I really like to take them from the rear"
    Tryton on Battlefield tactics

• Arborist, my previous video card was an EVGA Nvidia 9800 GT. Yes, it makes a very noticeable difference. Not only in FPS, but I can easily achieve higher settings while having higher FPS. Even at the high resolution I use, I am still a sucker for antialiasing. My 9800 GT would not ever be happy with AA. Now I can crank up AA and settings while gaming with more frames. 2xAA has almost no negative impact on frames. 4xAA a very small impact in Fraps measurments. It only starts to make a difference dramatic difference when set to 16xAA. Then I can see Fraps is measuring noticeably different numbers.

The only ATI video card I use is in my old iBook G4 laptop. It is not used for gaming.

• Right now I have the clock settings at 755/1510/1800 and the gpu temp is about 44*C. There is still a ton of overclocking room. Played Crysis Wars a bit at those settings and the frames were up at 65-ish. I will push the GPU core a little further and see how it does.

• 780/1560/1800 playing on !Bros graphs out to a max of 60*C. I might have to turn up a case fan... maybe if I clock any higher. We'll see!

• I know I still haven't hit the limit. What I predict here is a limiting factor in voltage (although I have not seen the limit yet). My hypothesis is that I will reach a maximum overclocking speed that is not limited by temperature, but instead by the voltage supplied by the PCB. This can easily be manipulated with some software, or otherwise, a BIOS flash.

Once the voltage is increased, the temps should start to rise. That might not be apparent until about the 890mhz to 910mhz area. Again, this is only speculation. Also, I would guess the clock speed will reach about 865mhz to 885mhz before I actually need to bump the voltage up a hair. FYI, I don't think it is necessary to take this card that far though.

Once I reach a GPU speed limit, I will reduce it and then see how far the memory clocks. Memory can be very different on cards with different PCB designs. For example, a Gigabyte GTX 460 might reach 2100mhz memory speed, while an XFX GTX 460 might only reach 1960mhz. Another tip is, keep the GPU core speed at stock while you find the video memory speed limit. There is a certain balance of the memory vs the gpu speeds, where the GPU might not exceed a certain speed because the memory is already overclocked, even if both are within their overclocking limits.

Maybe I will have time later to push the GPU some more. :D