• Arborist is my profession i'm a freelance climbing arborist. i love my job.

"when i look on this i think its potatos"
    Tryton on life

"I really like to take them from the rear"
    Tryton on Battlefield tactics

Edited once, last by ArboristUK (November 1, 2009 at 2:25 PM).

• Lumberjack.... that reminds me of:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

rhnreqez9zad3hut0ooq.jpg

Edited once, last by Ripley (July 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM).

• I'm guessing its the branches and leaves and shit that catches wind

Which leaves me to wonder, wouldn't it be easier to reduce sail area by cutting the tree down, rather than climb around in it like a monkey with a massive chainsaw?

You sumed up sail reduction nicely, it also means less foliage to hold water and snow, and removes weight from possible weak branches etc.

Cutting the tree down may be easier but where is the fun in that? its 5 minutes of glory felling a tree and then hours of hard labour to tidy it up.

In the U.S if a tree is deemed unsafe you usaully take em down, but the States is HUGE the whole of the U.K will fit into Texas nearly 3 times, So in the U.K we are more focused on trying to preserve trees in the urban enviroment through risk reduction arboriculture. Rather than being a mere tree cutter I try to be a champion of trees they are important for many reasons, they improve qaulity of life, help to cool cities down, absorb polution and store carbon, as well as support a myriad of wildlife.......

I could go on and on, basically we all take trees for granted, it was only when i embarked on my tree climbing career that i realsied there is more to them, i love trees taking them down is a necessary but small part of my job and yes i enjoy it, i keep more mature trees standing and help plant more than i cut down in a year. The Seqouiadendron in my pics was 110 years old a mere baby in the native home of the west coast they live upto 3000years+

"when i look on this i think its potatos"
    Tryton on life

"I really like to take them from the rear"
    Tryton on Battlefield tactics

Edited once, last by ArboristUK (July 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM).