• Most FPS's have a nifty little console command to reduce lag and make servers with a ping above 100 actually playable. Crysis's is cl_packetRate, which I set to 66. On some servers, I can use this rate and it's great because there's no longer a massive handicap delay between my client and the server. Some servers, however, including ours, lock me at a packet rate of 30. Is there some way to fix this?

• What would Tanktop do about packetrate? I thought you just said it was a client-side setting.

From TweakGuides:

Multiplayer Commands

Note: The bulk of multiplayer-related commands usually start with sv_, net_, cl_ and g_. The most important known MP commands for players (clients) are covered below:

cl_bob [0-1] - Determines the extent to which your weapon bobs and sways as you move; 1 is the highest, and fractional values down to 0 will steadily reduce it to nothing. This is the same as the in-game Weapon Inertia setting, however the command may be useful if you just wish to adjust your weapon bobbing 'on the fly' within multiplayer.

cl_bandwidth [value] - This setting determines the maximum bandwidth in bits per second to use when communicating with the game server. You can try lowering this value from the default on your system to see if it helps stabilize your Ping (system).

cl_packetRate [value] - This setting determines the number of packets per second sent from the server to your machine. You can experiment with lowering the packet rate if you find packet loss (manifesting as in-game warping) is quite high (system).

• Wait a moment Evil. If I enter cl_packetRate 66 in the main menu, it'll work, but if I type cl_packetRate 66 when in certain servers, it will return "cl_packetRate 30." Also, in every FPS I've seen there's at least a few servers that lock the packet rate at a certain point, and what number(s) the rate(s) are locked at depends on what the server owner did himself.

• Wait a moment Evil. If I enter cl_packetRate 66 in the main menu, it'll work, but if I type cl_packetRate 66 when in certain servers, it will return "cl_packetRate 30." Also, in every FPS I've seen there's at least a few servers that lock the packet rate at a certain point, and what number(s) the rate(s) are locked at depends on what the server owner did himself.

want a medal?

Edited once, last by (July 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM).

• Look at this. I found a list of console commands in the CryEngine that seem like they were meant to be typed into a dedicated server:

net_backofftimeout
    net_bw_aggressiveness
    net_channelstats
    net_connectivity_detection_interval
    net_defaultChannelBitRateDesired
    net_defaultChannelBitRateToleranceHigh
    net_defaultChannelBitRateToleranceLow
    net_defaultChannelIdlePacketRateDesired
    net_defaultChannelPacketRateDesired
    net_defaultChannelPacketRateToleranceHigh
    net_defaultChannelPacketRateToleranceLow
    net_disconnect_on_rmi_error
    net_enable_tfrc
    net_enable_voice_chat
    net_gamemode
    net_highlatencythreshold
    net_highlatencytimelimit
    net_inactivitytimeout
    net_input_dump
    net_input_trace
    net_lanbrowser
    net_lan_scanport_first
    net_lan_scanport_num
    net_log
    net_log_remote_methods
    net_phys_debug
    net_phys_lagsmooth
    net_phys_pingsmooth
    net_rtt_convergence_factor
    net_scheduler_debug
    net_stats_login
    net_stats_pass
    net_voice_lead_packets
    net_voice_proximity
    net_voice_trail_packets

Maybe net_defaultChannelPacketRateDesired being set to 66 would do it. But that might force people with a non-66 rate internet to comply, so how about net_defaultChannelPacketRateToleranceHigh 66.

Edited once, last by Cadeyrn (July 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM).

• I set it to 60 via the command prompt, so the setting will last until the game server is restarted. However, if you had a problem with lag before, this should only make it worse.

If you experienced packet loss before, it should be twice as bad now that the server is sending 2x as many per second; not sure why you want the value raised, but we'll see what happens.

• Yes, PointGuard mentioned the warning messages. However, it does not kick any players, so I was going to leave it temporarily at the current value (15) to see if there is any impact in performance reported. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how changing the packet rate affects anything, so I think the default 30 is the most logical value.

One of the suggested CVAR checks by PB is pb_sv_Cvar cl_packetrate IN 30, this means that the server checks to make sure every client's packetrate=30. I have changed this cvar to pb_sv_Cvar cl_packetrate IN 10 70 for the time being, to eliminate the console spam. If this causes any problems, let me know.

In short, clients (like you, Cad) should now be able to manually edit their cl_packetrate to any value within 10-70.