Arb's watercooling woes

• Well spiralling temps finally forced me to overhaul my system a process that goes like this.

Drain loop, much stainage and cussing.

Disconnect pipes remove graphics card.

Remove CPU water block

Remove radiators

Remove pump

Discard pipes

Remove water block from cards take apart and clean out reassemble.

Dismantle CPU block remove gunk causing severe blockage clean in acidic solution scrub clean then rinse in distilled water reassemble.

Blow out rads, flush rads with acidic solution, thoroughly rinse out rads, rinse some more with distilled water

Still have to do-

Install new piping, remount blocks with thermal compound remount rads fill with distilled water hook up to power supply pump only and leak test for a day

Arb,s thoughts, next time go air cooled!!!

"when i look on this i think its potatos"
    Tryton on life

"I really like to take them from the rear"
    Tryton on Battlefield tactics

• Those sealed units are nice and run very quiet. My experience with water cooling is the performance is not far off air with a lot more maintenance, The sealed units are pretty much maintenance free you just got to blow out the rad very so often.

It's all been a steep learning curve good preparation is key, my rads had not been flushed, and the gunk on the CPU cooler came from my tubing. During this overhaul I,ll make some improvements like a drain port so I can partial change fluid easily after 6 months by the time I need to strip everything down I,ll be looking at upgrading some parts.

The only thing I like about watercooling is the almost silent running even under heavy load, my temps are pretty close to what you get on air.

Tryton on life

• Installed piping, applied thermal compound, and boy who knew there could be so many ways of putting that stuff on, I am still none the wiser but went for the little dab in the middle technique, I also read about the union jack technique, plasterers technique and Yoda's buttering a slice of bread technique.

During leak test one of my gpu's wet itself, turns out I shredded an o-ring, easily replaced from some spares I had kicking around just hope the others are o.k

Temps are now high 20's in idle across both cpu and gpu, CPU hit 60.c with a 4.6mhz overclock maybe with some voltage tweaking I could get it a little lower as its on auto at the moment but happy with 60.c its a lot better than 100.c I was getting last week, and my gpu is running at 50.c

Tryton on life