Felix Build - Massive Copper Cooling

• Main Specs: i7 920, OC'd to 4.0ghz.
    6gb tri-channel ddr3 at 1600
    HD4870 1gb slight OC
    CoolerMaster RC 690 Case
    Scythe S-Flex 120MM fans

fy95d9wg04vfhic6imps.jpg

"You are what you do, when it counts." - the masao

Edited 3 times, last by Scout_Felix (July 6, 2015 at 9:38 PM).

• i share the same case with you, i see you mounted the front intake fan on the top, lol. great case, i have never been able to clean the metal mesh out completely.

Actually I still have the front intake fan blowing across the harddrives. I ditched the stock fans for quieter ones in fact.

The case is a bit more "mesh" than I expected so my airflow design is noisier in the end than I expected. But overall pretty happy with it.

Edited once, last by Scout_Felix (July 6, 2015 at 9:38 PM).

• So you do have an i7. In that case, I'm sure you know you've got a big time GPU bottle neck in that 4870, which I suppose is a good thing because you'd see a big increase in frame rate with a bit of cash into a new video card.

yeah, I have been researching the 570 vs. the 6950/70.....but am going to wait to see what Crysis 2 is running like on people's systems and prices to come down.
    I am even tempted to wait 1 more generation of cards.

The 4870 is still getting me by pretty well in DX9. Until a game really takes advantage of DX11 I think being a late adopter is going to pay dividends.

Edited once, last by Scout_Felix (July 6, 2015 at 9:38 PM).

• Crysis 2 will looks great on any video card, but will be optimized to use Nvidia cards that are DX11 capable. Yes, you will want DX11, and you will want Nvidia's version of DX11.

overclocked and water cooled mang!
    Crysis_signature_by_spiridusumagik.jpg

• Crysis 2 will looks great on any video card, but will be optimized to use Nvidia cards that are DX11 capable. Yes, you will want DX11, and you will want Nvidia's version of DX11.

There is ONE version of DX11, sorry, just like there's one version of openGL 4. (version does not mean revision, But rather variation)
    ATI and Nvidia share tiny engineering differences and slightly different micro-coding, but ultimately you get what you pay for. you can have the most advanced hardware on the planet but, never take advantage of it due to poor drivers (look at the optimus 2x). no doubt will crysis 2 be optimized for nvidia due to sponsorship.

If you modify the DX11 application extensions or configuration settings, games will probably never run.

Think of it like this, although all intel and AMD processors are cisc based they have extremely small variations in coding, no matter how small they still result in performance change. However, both Amd and Intel both follow the cisc architecture, kind of like DX11, if DX11 is non-standard the architecture of the chip would need to change based on the different variations,
    due to the way pixels and vertices are tessellated. (cisc vs risc)

Aesthetically there are no differences between "ATI's DX11" and "Nvidia's DX11".

in the end 3 factors come into play:
    1. Tessellation engine, and number of them.
    2. Drivers
    3. Hardware/Architecture/micro-code

• That's what i was saying, there is one DX11 release for all gfx cards ATI, Nvidia, Intel, Matrox, and others, DX is the same for all manufacturers, and all gpu's, therefor it will look exactly the same on all of them.

Now, tessellation is another matter, i assume you are all aware of what it is and how it works, the more powerful tessellation engine will yield smoother meshes with more polygons.
    As for color, all monitors, as do gfx cards work with 32 bit color, simply because there is no advantage to producing more colors, in other words we've reached the limit of color reproduction.

If you really care about visuals that much, you it would be easier to justify the purchase of an S-IPS monitor, rather than a GTX580 vs a HD6970. my PVA panel is a million time better and brighter than my TN, if you are interested i will recommend you an HP LP2475w, or you can go all out and purchase a LaCie or an NEC.

• I have one of those coolers sitting around with a socket 949 bracket sitting on it. Still don't know if I should make use. I also have an extra socket 949 water block that I don't use.

overclocked and water cooled mang!
    Crysis_signature_by_spiridusumagik.jpg