• "12 isnt divisible by 4...." -NecessaryEvil (Dumbass =P)
    "i aint got no link nigga" -NecessaryEvil (RACIST!!)
    "i got a GF in every state" -Gamp(MORMON Polygamists!!!)

"I dont like having sexual intercourse, I just like knowing that my genitals can pass easily through yours" -Arson633

• I'm not in the market for a new PC, so I don't know much about what's available in terms of competition to those items, but that all looks pretty reasonable to me (except for maybe the case, but I'm sure you know that I've never spent money on a case before). :lol:

And Windows 7 is available for $50 to beta testers. :D

One of my many free cases:

• first of all, that gtx 280 probly wont fit in that tiny ass case, and if it does, the processor will boil with that crappy air flow.
    trust me, dont skip on the case, its very important.
    you want something mid atx and make sure it has good airflow/cooling

second of all, your going to want more than 500 watts for that gtx280 and quad core
    try these on for size:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc…N82E16817139002
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc…N82E16817153101

• First off I suggest you to go for an i7 processor and motherboard, you may spend some extra buck now but it's worth it if you want a computer that will be up-to-date in the years coming.

If you can't afford the motherboard with an i7 then that quadcore is good, even if I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it, too much especially in the US.

The Power Supply is one of the MOST important and underestimated components in a good computer, so spend AT LEAST $100 for it, buy a good one, like the Silent Pro M series by Cooler Master. Remember you are interested in high efficiency and high current on the 12 V rails, which is where the video card draws power. For power Wattage look for at least 600 Watts. Better 650 or more, don't worry even if you buy a 800 W it doesn't mean you consume more when you are using the computer for browsing the Internet. actually you consume less in many cases.

for the case, try to look at a big one, and well ventilated. the blue leds and bullshit lights are really just an optional. buy one that you will be able to add fans to, since it is likely to get very hot inside there if you buy an Asus motherboard and a Geforce 280 with stock Intel Cooler.

last but not least, if you buy a better mobo for i7 CPUs then you may prefer to buy DDR3 DRAM instead of DDR2. Even if you buy Kingmax and not Corsair, that's not a big deal, especially if you are looking for save money, save it on the RAM rather than on the Power Supply.

Good luck, it took me a good amount of noob mistakes before learning these things, so I hope they will help you

• Remember about the Power Supply Unit! ABSOLUTELY more than 500 Watts, that would be like putting a Seat Marbella engine under the hood of a Ferrari Enzo. the Video Card won't work well.

Seat Marbella:

2ildd1z.jpg

Ferrari Enzo:

ra3oyr.jpg

When I bought this computer I did your same mistake and bought a shitty 450 W cheap power supply (payed it €45), I had to change it after less than a year because the 8800 GT wanted 26 Ampere on the 12 V rails and that PSU just gave 22 A.

• ok, i cant afford anythign like the i7 or anything like that and youre telling me to get bigger when im already at my limit, what can i get with what i have when it goes to cases and power supplies...

"12 isnt divisible by 4...." -NecessaryEvil (Dumbass =P)

"I dont like having sexual intercourse, I just like knowing that my genitals can pass easily through yours" -Arson633

• well buy less expensive RAM, 4 GB of Kingston for example, you'll save probably $20. and for no reason in this world buy that power supply or any $50 power supply. They are crap and they would just be a bottle neck for that video card. Just WAIT until some components lower their price, this means wait a month or two. Don't hurry things up, if you can't wait then just buy a less expensive video card with a better Power supply. Better a couple FPS less than bad erogation of power, also if you want to change a video card in the future it takes a second, changing a PSU, especially if not modular, its a pain in the ass.

• You should be able to get a 650 watt psu from a name-brand company for about the same price as the one you were looking at, as those things are always on sale. When I replaced my latest psu, I just read the back of my video card box for psu recommendations / requirements. I think my 9800GT recommended 650 W, so I bet that card you are looking at requires at least that amount.

• You should be able to get a 650 watt psu from a name-brand company for about the same price as the one you were looking at, as those things are always on sale. When I replaced my latest psu, I just read the back of my video card box for psu recommendations / requirements. I think my 9800GT recommended 650 W, so I bet that card you are looking at requires at least that amount.

the 9800 GT is basically a 8800 GT with some extra boom boom packaged, and already with a 600 W flies, but then again you can buy a 600 W with shitty current stability on the 12 V and your video card will start whining. with a brand new pc I'd go for a 700 or 800 W PSU by Corsair or Cooler Master. like expensive but not crazy expensive like a Tagan. Also if you have the chance weigh it, good PSU use usually Japanese big electrolitic capacitors and big transformers so they weigh a lot.

• There is an article (PC Gamer, I think) in which two guys competed to build a cheap PC. It was a close competition, but the guy who reached his $500 budget before buying a case was the winner. I wish I could find the picture for you guys, but imagine seeing an entire computer built inside of a cardboard box! And he won (probably b/c he didn't waste $ on fancy sheetmetal)!

This is two months old now, but proof that you can build a cheap Crysis machine:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur…ay_crysis_40fps

• that article went for a super expensive video card and everything else crappy, it's kind of the opposite of what I do when I shop budget, eh =]
    I don't get why they bought a Western Digital Hard Drive, I would have saved buying a Hitachi or Maxtor one and instead bought 4 GB of cheap DDR2.

• PointGuard: that looks pretty cool, also a pretty expensive good case. Just for the CPU cooler you can have a Noctua good one for the same price, which will be more efficient and quiet than the Thermaltake.

• pointguard fuck off, this is my thread lol jk nice choices

"12 isnt divisible by 4...." -NecessaryEvil (Dumbass =P)

• Well, I've been thinking about this more, and I'll have to agree with Snowy. Arson, wouldn't you think it'd be better to go w/ an x58 mobo with the LGA1366 processor interface so you can use Intel's newest processor? if I were you, I'd wait to go that route b/c you can actually save money in the long run, as the core i7 will be around for long time. I mean, you wouldn't need a new mobo or processor for maybe 2 years.

In the meantime, go ahead and buy that gtx 260 or 275 or 285 or whatever you want; you can hold off on the mobo and chipset until they're cheaper.

With the above setup, you should easily be able to score around 20,000 3dmarks. With your current setup, I'd say you're getting under 10k 3dmarks for sure (so less than half of the upgraded rig).

• Arson you might not have t money but learn from my mistake if you cant afford the best dont bother just wait a little longer and save

I caved over a year and a half ago and bought this piece of shit im on now
    WORST MISTAKE EVER

I soooo wished i saved that little longer and got something better.

This is what im saving up for now

Power Supply - :: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 750W Modular 1
    Motherboard - :: ASUS P6T Deluxe - Intel X58 Chipset, Crossfire/ SLI Compatible 1
    Processor - :: Intel® Core™ i7 920 Quad Core Processor 2.66GHz 1
    Video Card - :: BFG NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295 OC 1.8GB GDDR3 1
    Processor Cooler - :: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1
    Fan Controller - :: Motherboard Control 1
    Memory - :: 6GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz Intel Extreme 7-7-7-20 3x 2GB DIMMs 1
    Hard Drive - :: 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 7200rpm SATA-II with 32MB Cache 1
    2nd Hard Drive - :: 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 7200rpm SATA-II with 32MB Cache 1
    Hard Drive Config 1 - :: No RAID 1
    3rd Hard Drive - :: None Selected 1
    4th Hard Drive - :: None Selected 1
    Hard Drive Config 2 - :: No RAID 1
    17 in 1 card reader -
    Subtotal £1,792.00
    VAT £268.80
    Total £2,060.80

Got that price drawn up with DMC like 3months ago probably cheaper now.
    Id probably buy evrything from the cheapest shop and just build it myself save more money

Wardy