Posts by B-e-t-a

    I prefer mprime, but I hear good things about Everest.

    *edit*
    Also I overclocked my first computer when I was about 11, 12, 13 years old. It was an old 486/50. I got it up to 66Mhz and one hot summer day it finally burned up the processor. Sell some action figures and comic books and save up for a PSU.

    Have to turn the volume up to hear it.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    There are a lot of possibilities, but I'm pointing out the obvious here. A no-name brand PSU with barely enough juice to power a rig is going to be weak. Thermal efficiency will be below 50%.

    You need at least a Corsiar 500 watt. If you insist on keeping a cheap brand, use a 750 watt cheapo brand. But I still recommend Corsair or similar products.

    *edit*
    Blackhawk, just about any one of these PSU's that are above 500 watt will serve you twice as good as that mystery PSU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600037997&IsNodeId=1&name=80%20PLUS%20Certified
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600038000&IsNodeId=1&name=80%20PLUS%20BRONZE%20Certified

    This is a lesson that nearly all overclockers, benchers, and enthusiasts learn the hard way. Then they end up trying to teach the next generation what they learned, however, the teachers soon learn that PSU stubbornness is something that every noob must inherit and learn the hard way. <-- Even stating this, I doubt you will be convinced.

    The basics of choosing a PSU:
    1) Always choose something that is 80+ certified (gold, bronze, silver, doesn't matter).
    2) Learn the best brands: Seasonic, PCP&C, Corsair, some Antec, some other brands.
    3) Often times, two different brand PSU's will actually have identical internal parts from the same manufacturer. For example, my Antec True Power New 750 watt has the same internals as a Corsair 750 watt and a PCP&C 750 watt. However, the Antec Earthwatts PSU's are the cheap type and only slightly better than the no-name brands.
    4) Always choose a power supply that can have at least 30% or more free power at any given time. If your rig needs 430 watts to run on max load, choose a PSU that can supply 640 watts or more that still fits the above criteria of 80+ certified. The reason is, when a PSU reaches 50% load, the thermal efficiency begins to drop and you can see voltage droop, hotter temperatures, and sometimes excessive voltage. Over time, that PSU will degrade and not be able to supply the full amperage (via voltage droop or reduction in wattage output).

    Never heard of Sharkoon. Is that really the brand of power supply? Seriously?

    Go buy an Antec True Power New 750 watt, or a Corsair 750 watt, or a PC Power & Cooling 750 watt power supply. Otherwise, you will always have problems. Then one day that 500 watt generic PSU will burn out and risk destroying the whole rig.

    Why does it seem like we can't see or read the text on our forum without squinting. lol


    All components wear out regardless of the chip manufacturer, the gpu chips (Nvidia VS. ATI) are both of equal quality (unless you have a scientific study that proves otherwise). however, depending on the pcb manufacturer (e.g. MSI, Asus, EVGA, Sapphire, XFX) the components will differ in quality, lower quality mosfets, bios chips, RAM, and capacitors, will fail long before the gpu; due to that reason, it is a good idea to buy the overclocked version of the card, because of better component quality.

    Nvidia chips have better microcode, meaning more efficient processing. Same thing with Intel's newest Core i7's. My gaming rig is an AMD-based rig, however I openly will admit that credit belongs to Nvidia and Intel for being the best in quality and overall.

    I want to be the guy with the most deaths.

    beta164beta
    B-e-t-a |

    The later is my usual name, so add that one. What you see there after the space is actually a 'pipe' character. Hold shift and press the "\" character on your US qwerty keyboard and you will have the pipe character. In game the pipe character looks like a crosshair with a circle around it.

    Yes, I had a lot of fun and we did well, even if we were losing some of the time. It is great fun and at some times the tactics we used were superior, but other times were lacked the proper organization.

    :lol: I could not refuse BF2 for $10. And all I knew was bcf2 (or whatever it is) was a good game. I watched the demos and tossed money at it. I enjoyed BF2 for a little bit, then bought the correct game. Then liked it so much I bought Vietnam, which is fricken awesome.

    Well, Metro 2033 is actually a high quality game. It is a post-WW3 nuclear winter and post nucular war game set in Russia and eastern Europe. It is addicting. This is the first game that I tested that I could not play on max settings with my GTX 460. I max all my games out at 1680x1050 except this one. It is intense and I can see why it is the modern-day video stress defacto in bold text. Also, it is very cinematic. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a high-end game for single player.

    CS:S is just ok, but worth the $5 I threw at it. It will receive some attention. I did not expect anything fancy since it is older. About 5-6 years ago I could see this game being popular.

    Red Faction: Guerrilla is good. Graphics are good and very stable. The gameplay is alright.

    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sucks. Could not play it for very long. Also, the game does not support my native resolution from the menu and I don't care about it enough to change it from properties tab ATM.

    Saints Row is cool if you like the GTA-style games. It would be best if you have a controller to plug in, simply because you do a lot of driving.

    Company of Heroes + expansions: still need to play it.

    Warhammer + expansions: still need to play it.

    Juiced 2: still need to play.

    And there are a lot of other games I need to play before I can comment on them.

    aohao people do the dumbest things sometimes.

    This guy at my work, a real simpleton, jumped off the roof to his house into a 1 foot deep swimming pool. Oh yea, he got drunk and did this. He was out of work for a long time afterwards.

    Sweet! So do you want a BC2 Vietnam server, or just a regular BC2 server? I'd be down for either one.

    And btw, I created a new soldier with the name "B-e-t-a |" The pipe character at the end will look like a bullseye in the game. I had to start over from Private I though.